Tuesday 14 January 2014

Gyle 32 - CCS DIPA

It's 2014, and here's a big beer to start the year off in style. A big ass DIPA with Citra, Centennial, and the tasty as all hell, Simcoe! That's right, I'm Simcoe-ing mad.


I know, I know. I've jumped from gyle 29 to gyle 32, you're wondering what happened to the two inbetween? They happened, but I didn't blog about them. Uni work swallowed most of my time, and I squeezed in a couple of brews, but didn't blog them. I'm a bad person. A real bad mother.

Back to the beer, as that's what you really want. You don't care about anything other than beer, and that's why I love you. Well, this happened as @GroveTomB wanted to come over and do a brew with me. I'd been in discussions with a housemate and he had expressed a desire for me to remake Gyle 0015, the C & C DIPA. Who was I to not grant his wishes.

So, I spoke to Tom, and we took the recipe from that, and bashed it straight into the spreadsheet, getting it all ready for mashing in.

Malts

9.5kg of Marris Otter
0.5kg of Carapils
0.5kg of Munich

the plan was a 60 minute mash at 65ºC with 26.3 litres of liquor, then sparge with 16.3 litres to get 31 litres of pre-boil wort. Well, that was the plan. Temperatures weren't quite hit, so it was mashed in at 64ºC, and somewhere I fucked up with the volumes. I bought a really nice set of scales to be able to measure more accurately, but the plug adaptor has gone walkies, so I couldn't use them. I ended up with 38 litres of pre-boil wort. Somehow, I'd managed an extra 7 litres.



This had the effect that instead of the 24 litres of 1.093 OG wort at 70% efficiency, I got 31 litres of 1.078 OG wort at 75.5% efficiency. I can't really complain, it isn't the first time I've done this, it's almost a comedy of errors now.

The mash run off did look particularly nice and clear though, so I'm not unhappy about that.



Aah well. we decided on the hops for the brew, and chose to add the new Simcoe to the already selected Citra and Centennial, mainly as it smelled lush. 60 minute bittering was 25g of Magnum, for the lovely clean bitterness it does so well. The hopping schedule was 

20 - Citra - 7g
20 - Centennial - 7g
20 - Simcoe - 7g
15 - Citra - 12g
15 - Centennial - 12g
15 - Simcoe - 12g
10 - Citra - 15g
10 - Centennial - 15g
10 - Simcoe - 15g
05 - Citra - 25g
05 - Centennial - 25g
05 - Simcoe - 25g
00 - Citra - 35g
00 - Centennial - 35g
00 - Simcoe - 35g

And a rather respectable 75g of each for the dry hopping of the beer when it's fermented. That's a jolly decent 532g of hops total. Hmmm, does it need more hops? MOAR HOPS!!!

Final addition to the boil, hops.


As I ended up with 31 litres, that was too much for any one brewing vessel, so I stuck in 20 litres to one, and pitched in the US-05 that was intended, and put the other 11 litres into another, and pitched in some Brettanomyces Bruxellensis that I had bought for a Brux IPA I made in November with Mosaic and Magnum. I'll be blogging about that soon.

This means that due to a monumentally boneheaded fuck up, I've now got two interesting beers fermenting, and I shall have a nice bottling session ahead of me. I might do something crazy with the dry hopping, I'll see how I feel on the day. I'm playing fast and loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment